Let’s say you want to install the latest XAMPP software so you can do some local wordpress/html work. But after installing XAMPP, you get this message when trying to start the Apache server:
4:33:47 PM [Apache] Problem detected!
4:33:47 PM [Apache] Port 443 in use by "vmware-hostd.exe"!
4:33:47 PM [Apache] Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
4:33:47 PM [Apache] You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
4:33:47 PM [Apache] or reconfigure Apache to listen on a different port
In order to get over this, you must change the SSL port number that XAMPP Apache listens to (or change VMWare). I found changing XAMPP was easier.
Here’s the steps:
- Close the XAMPP control panel
http-ssl.confusing notepad in the
- Look for the line that has:
- Change that port number to anything you want (i.e. 4430 worked for me)
- Search the rest of the document – replacing 443 with 4430 (or your port)
- Save the file
- Restart XAMPP and Apache should start up properly this time.