Punkbuster kicking you off in BF3/Battlefield 3?
UGH. I went through tons of this headaches back on Battlefield 2 with Punkbuster, and now it appears to have come up again on BF3. I had been playing along for months without a single issue, but then re-installed recently when I reconfigured my machine. Then I started getting this dreaded message:
Game disconnected: you were kicked by PunkBuster. Stated reason: PunkBuster kicked player (for 0 minutes) … RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrA.exe
The forums are full of people with this same issue. Here are some solutions that pertained to my particular problem:
- Punkbuster didn’t even get installed. You need to go to Punkbuster’s website, download the installer, and install it yourself. Go here and follow the directions:
- Punkbuster isn’t getting updated automatically. There are HTML ‘key’ files that need to be installed and updated regularly. You need to select 7 different links and save them in the correct folders.
- The first is: pbsec.htm, it goes in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\. Be careful! When I first saved it from the link, it saved it as pbsec-1.html – that doesn’t work.
- Update the remaining 6 htm files like ‘PB Client v2.317 for Win32’ et al. go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\pb\htm
- pbsvc.exe is missing(!). One post mentioned that you could manually run C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\pbsvc.exe and it would test everything for you. I actually found this file was missing. However, a copy of it was there in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\__Installer\punkbuster\redist\pbsvc.exe. I copied it to the root BF3 directory and then everything worked.
Thanks again Origin for really making PC gaming a viable environment and reminding me why consoles have eaten half your gaming lunch.