I was just installing XAMPP on my windows 7 x64 box, I tried to start Apache and got this message:
Port 443 in use by ""C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-hostd.exe" -u "C:\ProgramData\VMware\hostd\config.xml"" with PID 4688!
Apache WILL NOT start without the configured ports free!
You need to uninstall/disable/reconfigure the blocking application
or reconfigure Apache and the Control Panel to listen on a different port
Unfortunately, VMWare Workstation places it’s host ports on the same ones needed by Apache. The solution is to change the apache ports via this procedure:
- Open the XAMPP Control Panel
- Click the ‘Config’ button next to the Apache module and select the ‘
Apache (httpd-ssl.conf)‘ option
- A text edit box will pop up with the contents of httpd-ssl.conf
- Find the line with
- Change 443 to some other open port – like 4430
- Do a search/replace in the file for all the references to 443 and change them to 4430 (should be like 3-4 of them)
- save and exit the editor
- Start Apache
If all goes well, it should start right up on ports 80, 4430. Test it by going to
localhost in your web browser and you should see the familiar xampp control panel
Thanks to Spadez for this additional info:
I found I also had to set it via the Service and Port Settings in the Xampp Config. In the Xampp control panel click the Config button then the Port settings button and set the port number there.