One of my favorite pastimes is reading and listening to classic spooky stories. There’s no better time for curling up with a spooky story than a cold, fall evening in front of the fire.
Here’s a collection of my all-time favorite scary stories by the best readers I could find:
- The Red Room by H.G.Wells
- The Empty House by Algernon Blackwood
- The Tower by Marghanita Laski
- A Haunted Island by Algernon Blackwood
- The Haunted and the Haunters by Edward Bulwer-Lytton
- Christmas Eve on a Haunted Hulk by Frank Cowper
- Five different haunted house stories by George Allen Upward. About estate agent Jack Hargreaves who specializes in dealing with haunted properties
- Dark Mummery by Thorp McClusky
- The House Among the Laurels by William Hope Hodgson
- The Whistling Room and one of the 5 other stories about Carnacki the ghost finder by William Hope Hodgson
- The Ash Tree by M R James
- Number 13 by M R James
- The Phantom Coach – Amelia B Edwards
- Whistle, and I’ll Come to You, My Lad by M R James
This is a unique group – and old stories of this genre are very heavy on dry British/deadpan humor and often require a little bit of understanding of the times in 1800’s England. I highly recommend.
- The Open Window by Saki. Besides this story check out all the other great humorous works by Saki – he’s a favorite of mine.
- The Ghost of the Blue Chamber (pt1 and pt2) by Jerome K Jerome
- My Adventure in Norfolk by A. J. Alan – The author tries out a possible vacation home only to have a unique encounter. Especially fun for the dry humor and malapropisms.
- The Ghost Train – An excellent and fun ghost story that turns out to be something completely different. Best version of this story I have encountered. (Avoid the 1941 movie version like the plague – it is terrible)
- House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson
- The Thing on the Fourble Board – Radio Play
Good general scary classics channels on YouTube:
- Bitesized Audio Classics
- Washington Sawyer – Not the best narrator, but has a great collection
- ƬƛԼЄƧ ƠƑ ƬЄƦƦƠƦ
- Suspense and Escape – Old time radio programs
- Horror Babble
- Sherlock Holmes and other stories Magpie Audio
Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories – Michael Cox, R.A. Gilbert