It seems Oregon, and specifically Portland, have lost their luster. Portland and Oregon went from being the #1 place to move in the US to having a net LOSS of population in just 2 years.
Multnomah county (which encompasses most of Portland) declined by 12,494 people, or 1.5% along with a more modest decline (0.2%) in the Portland metro area (Beaverton, Vancouver, etc).
How did this happen? How did a city go from the #1 place to move to just about last place? Some of the top posited reasons:
- Homelessness issues that have degraded to a state of emergency in Oregon and the Portland metro area
- Public school systems that rank 8th worst in the nation (behind Mississippi)
- Having over 100 straight nights of violent and destructive riots sure couldn’t help
- More than double the number of annual shootings (from 300 shootings in 2019 to 900 shootings in 2020 with even worse statistics for 2021). Shooting that are now increasingly happening in schools
- Near doubling of crime: from murder to property crimes.