I love movies. When I travel, I often see what movies were filmed at those places and visit the exact location of famous shots. I also love movie props and the interesting furniture and set pieces used to create the mood. Did you know others have the same enjoyment?
Here’s some resources if you’re interested in visiting your favorite movie locations and bits.
Finding were movies were shot:
- Latitude and Longitude gives exact lat/long coordinates of tons of movies; especially my favorite spaghetti westerns like For a Few Dollars More.
- Another good site for film locations: https://www.movie-locations.com/#
- US locations for movies: https://moviemaps.org/
- Now & Then movies – see what shooting locations look like now.
- Youtube channels are also a great source for finding out where things were shot.
- Messy Nessy sometimes goes to interesting locations – Like this group of locations that inspired several Wes Anderson film locations/shots: https://www.messynessychic.com/2019/05/23/vacationing-with-wes-anderson/
- Lots of great filming locations in LA: https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/tags/film-tv-locations
- On Set Cinema – takes you to famous movie locations (mostly horror locations) and often shows the movie and lets you stay at the location.
- Visit Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco – Also know in Friday the 13th as Camp Crystal Lake. They have regular tours and sell signed merchandise.
Sources and places to buy furniture and clothes used in movies:
- Many films use commercially available furniture. This site tracks them and shows you where to buy your own:
- Clothes used in various films
- The Prop Store – https://propstore.com/category/movie-props/
- Hollywood Collectables Group – https://www.hollywood-collectibles.com/store/home.php
- Most famous online forum for replica prop builders. Often visited by Adam Savage from Mythbusters fame. https://www.therpf.com/forums/
- Stationary from fictional hotels: https://www.herblester.com/collections/stationery
Various famous props:
- Arnolfo di Cambio’s CIBI SET OF 2 DOUBLE OLD FASHION GLASSES – used in the movie Blade Runner – https://bladerunnerglass.com/?lang=en
- The chairs used Beetlejuice: https://www.bauhaus2yourhouse.com/products/charles-rennie-mackintosh-argyle-chair?variant=39638722
- Hard to Find Whiskey’s – Game of Thrones, Blade Runner, and other famously used alcoholic beverages. https://www.htfw.com/